Superior Implant Dentistry in Bowie, MD
There are many reasons for tooth loss, including poor oral hygiene, tooth root infection, and advanced gum disease. In cases of single tooth loss, the optimal solution is a dental implant surgical procedure, even if only a single implant.
Dental implants integrate with the bone and fully replace natural teeth. If the missing tooth is not visible, patients tend to delay seeking a dental implant that replaces a single tooth, whether for financial considerations or another reason. However, replacing all-on-4-implants or a single tooth isn’t a matter of aesthetics but oral health.
A single implant could impact dental health and quality of life significantly. A patient who loses a tooth may suffer:
- Shifting and misalignment of the teeth adjacent to the gap
- Uneven pressure distribution on teeth
- Jaw muscle and joint pain
- Headaches and migraines
- Jawbone deterioration
The Optimal Solution: Tooth Implant Capped With a Porcelain Crown
A quality dental implant with a porcelain crown can restore full tooth function and dental aesthetics. Single tooth implant patients usually enjoy:
- Excellent, quick results with minimal pain
- A permanent, durable solution
- Support for the adjacent teeth and jawbone
Alternatives to a single implant include dental bridges and removable partial dentures. However, although these solutions are easy and quick, they cannot offer the optimal function, durability, and long-term jawbone support of a dental implant procedure.
Implants: What to Expect
Here is what typically happens during a dental implant surgery procedure:
- Preparing for the procedure: The dentist will talk to the patient and discuss treatment options. In most cases, X-rays will determine the future implant’s optimal position.
- Implant placement and installation. We will install the implant, capped with a healing cap for a quick but functional solution. The substitute will remain in place until the dental implant fully integrates with the bone graft.
- Permanent crown. Once the area is fully healed (after several months), the dentist will install a permanent porcelain/ceramic implant crown that looks and functions like a natural tooth.
Remarkably, a single dental implant can serve as a lifelong solution with no additional treatment with optimal oral hygiene and regular check-ups with our dental professionals.
Recovery after Single Implant Procedure
Pain, swelling, bruising, and minor bleeding are normal after a dental implant installation. Our dentist may recommend over-the-counter medications to ease the discomfort, and it is best to stick to cool, soft foods during this recovery.
You should be able to perform most normal daily functions a day or two after the procedure.
Be sure to contact your dentist in cases of severe pain or continuous bleeding.
Superior Cosmetic & Family Dentistry: Implant Dentistry in Bowie, MD
Are you considering dental implants? Schedule a consultation at Superior Cosmetic & Family Dentistry today. We’re a family-owned dental clinic catering to patients of all ages in Bowie, MD.
Our dentists provide professional, compassionate, and stress-free dental care to all our patients. We strive for optimal results and minimal discomfort.